When I need a quick and nutritious meal this is what I make. Great things about this dish:
1. It will be done in about 15 minutes, and most of that time is just letting the quinoa simmer.
2. It only takes one pot.
3. It uses feta cheese. Personally, I love feta.
4. Quinoa and spinach are both really healthy. I eat this whole recipe for lunch often and I feel totally energized (and not at all guilty). I’m all for foods you can feel good about eating.
5. Did I mention, quinoa is really healthy?! Once you learn about it and try it you’ll be sold. Just ask my husband; he didn’t know what this stuff was before we got married and now he goes around showing people at work his leftover quinoa at lunch telling them “its one of those superfoods!” He’s correct. It contains more fiber than any other grain (good for us celiacs), tons of protein, and lots of other nutrients (iron, magnesium, and others). The price tag may be a little scary, but it’s well worth it. I’d suggest buying in bulk if possible – it cuts down on the cost, and then you have more quinoa to eat!
So, anyway, that was my quinoa rant. Now, onto the recipe!
Lemony Quinoa & SpinachIngredients (makes 1 serving as a meal, makes 2 servings as a side dish)
- 2/3c water
- 1/3c quinoa
- 1c packed spinach
- 2 tbs lemon juice
- feta cheese
- Bring quinoa and water to boil in a small pot.
- Once water is boiling, reduce heat to simmer and cover the pot (it will be boiling pretty hard, so just watch and make sure nothing overflows until the boiling slows down). Let the quinoa cook for about 15 minutes, or until all the water is absorbed.
- When the quinoa is done add the lemon juice and stir, just a bit.
- Dump the spinach on top of the quinoa and cover it again. Once the spinach is wilted, stir it in.
- Finally, add a few crumbles of feta cheese, though this will be tasty with or without it!