Mmmmmmmm, these enchiladas are sooooo good!
Ingredients wise, they are so full of flavor. Coming from green chilis and spices, the flavor is totally guilt-free. The rest of the creamy filling is made up of shredded chicken and greek yogurt. Much healthier than the usual cream cheese or sour cream enchilada filling. I promise, you will not notice the difference! I think you’ll find the green chili flavor will fit a wide variety of palates, too. It’s not overly spicy or strong, but still delicious!
This is an easy dinner to prepare, and really doesn’t take too much hands on cooking time. It also takes almost no extra effort to make one pan with GF corn tortillas and another pan with flour tortillas. I think you’ll find that even if you make the recipe entirely with corn tortillas, even non-GF eaters will totally enjoy this meal. The GF corn tortilla version will work with homemade corn tortillas or store bought!
Another thing I love about these enchiladas (and really, all enchiladas!) is that they can be prepared ahead of time and then baked when you’re ready to eat. I’ll often make these earlier in the day, store them in the refrigerator, and then bake them when it is dinner time. It makes for a very stress free dinner time, especially at the end of a long day. Although I haven’t done it, I’m sure these would freeze well, too!
By the way, I’ve been using a canned green chili sauce. It’s very good, but I always prefer to make things from scratch, if possible! Does anyone have a good recipe for green chili sauce? I’d love to try it if you are willing to share 🙂
Green Chili EnchiladasIngredients
- 2 chicken breasts, cooked and shredded
- 4 oz. can of diced green chilis
- 1/2c plain greek yogurt
- 2 1/2 Tbs lime juice
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 3/4c shredded cheese (I used a mexican blend)
- 2 14 oz. cans green chili sauce
- corn and/or flour tortillas (I used 6 small corn tortillas, and 4 burrito sized flour tortillas)
- olive oil spray or cooking spray
- coarse sea salt
- cilantro, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a medium bowl combine shredded chicken, diced green chilis, yogurt, lime juice, galic powder, chili powder, cumin, and cheese.
- Get out two glass baking dishes and spray each with your cooking spray.
- Starting with the corn tortillas, put about 2 Tbs of the chicken mixture at one edge of the tortilla, roll it up, and place it in the baking dish. (Tip: microwave three corn tortillas at a time in between two pieces of damp paper towel for 25 seconds. This will soften them up so you can roll them up without getting any cracks in the tortilla).
- Follow the same procedure with the flour tortillas. Depending on the size you are using you may need more chicken mixture per tortillas than from the corn tortillas.
- Spray the tops of the enchiladas with olive oil/cooking spray, and sprinkle with salt.
- Put both dishes in the oven, with the corn enchiladas on the top rack to prevent cross contaminator. Bake for 10 minutes, then remove from the oven temporarily to pour the green chili sauce evenly over the enchiladas. Put back in the oven for about 5 minutes, until the sauce is heated.
- Garnish with freshly chopped cilantro, if desired. Make sure you get out separate serving utensils for the corn and flour enchiladas!