It was probably a few years ago when my sister emailed the link the recipe to make these taquitos to me. A few weeks later we made them and have been huge taquito fans ever since.
“Huge taquito fans” is probably a bit of an understatement. We make them every time we hang out, pretty much. We make them when we hang out with other people. They are our go-to sister food. And, get this: I asked my sister if she would be willing to do Steve and I’s wedding video. She’s good at that type of thing and we were prepared to pay whatever she asked. And what did she ask for? Taquitos! I think I made taquitos once a week for my entire engagement (I’m pretty sure Laur got the bad end of that deal because I only had a 3 month engagement). And you know what? We ate them every time. We still eat them. These are too good to get sick of!
My husband also loves taquitos, but he is basically lactose intolerant. The original taquito recipe is full of cheese and dairy products that give them that smooth creamy texture. All that dairy didn’t sit well with him. I started working on a taquito recipe that was not so dairy-heavy, and the result? Mashed beans! I know it sounds gross, just ask my taquito-loving sister. She was a bit nervous to try to bean variety, too. Since these taquitos are filled with seasonings and spices any flavor from the beans is covered up leaving only the creamy-ness!
When you make these, just be sure to do one thing – don’t leave out the coarse sea salt on the top of the taquitos! It ties all of the tastes together so, so well and a taquito just isn’t the same without the salt.
Creamy Chicken Taquitos (Healthy Makeover)Recipe Inspiration: Taquitos from Our Best Bites Ingredients (this makes 2 9×13 pans of taquitos)
- 15.5 oz can of cannellini beans
- 1/2 c plain greek yogurt
- 2/3 c green salsa
- 2 Tbs lime juice
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 Tbs chili powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 c chopped cilantro
- 1/2 c chopped green onions
- 2 c cooked, shredded chicken
- 2/3 c shredded cheese (I used a store bought Mexican cheese blend)
- 2 to 3 dozen corn tortillas (or make your own)
- cooking spray
- coarse sea salt
- Preheat the oven to 425° F.
- Using a immersion blender (or blender) mash the beans. Add the yogurt to the blender/bowl and blend again until the beans and yogurt are well combined and the mixture is very smooth.
- Stir in all remaining ingredients (except tortillas, cooking spray, and salt).
- To soften the tortillas for rolling (if need), place a few tortillas on a plate in between two pieces of wet paper towel and microwave for 25 seconds.
- Place a large spoonful of chicken mixture on the edge of one of the tortillas. Roll up the edge of the tortillas closest to the mixture, and keep rolling until the whole tortilla is in a tube shape with the chicken mixture in the center. Place the taquito is a large baking dish, seam side down. Repeat with all remaining taquitos.
- Spray the tops of all of the taquitos with cooking spray and then sprinkle with the coarse salt.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, until the edges of the tortillas are golden brown.