Christmas season is in full swing now and I feel like I should be posting a cookie recipe, not a dinner. I’m sure I will be doing plenty of cookie baking and sharing in the coming weeks (including my eBook with cookie recipes), but, in this hectic and busy time of year we need to eat more than cookies! This skillet dinner is warm, comforting, and ready in under in 30 minutes.
Hamburger Helper was the first meal I ever cooked on my own. My Mom has always loved the stroganoff variety so that was a frequent and favorite dinner in our household. Since it was a fairly simple dinner I would often be the one responsible for mixing up the sauce or making the ground beef, and eventually making the entire meal. I suppose all cooks have to to start somewhere!
Although Hamburger Helper was a totally viable dinner option in my childhood it is not now! When I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease in my 20s it immediately became a forbidden food. Still, sometimes I crave it, even though I know it is both full of gluten and not exactly healthy.
Enter this recipe. It is delicious. It will take you the same amount of time to cook as the boxed variety. The ingredient list is short and includes more whole foods and less processed foods. Adults and kids will love it. And best of all, you don’t have to feel a bit guilty about eating this or serving it to your family!
Healthier than the Box GF Cheeseburger MacaroniIngredients
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 lb. lean ground turkey
- 1/2 lb elbow shaped GF brown rice pasta
- 2 c water
- 1 1/4 c tomato sauce
- 1/2 tsp mustard powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 2 c shredded cheddar cheese (this makes it very cheesy, feel free to use less)
- Add the chopped onion and ground turkey to a large skillet. Cook over medium high heat until the turkey is browned, breaking it into small bits as it cooks.
- Stir in the water, tomato sauce, mustard powder, onion powder, and garlic powder. When combined, stir in the pasta and bring to a boil.
- Cover and simmer (reduce heat to a medium/low) for 15 minutes, or until pasta is done.
- Turn off the heat and stir in the cheese. Serve with steamed vegetables or a salad.