Last week I posted about the amazingness of making buffalo chicken in the crockpot. It is literally effortless, delicious, and super versatile. These crepes are just one of many ways to dress up the simple crockpot buffalo chicken into something a bit more fancy!
I love these crepes because they are indulgent, yet healthy. They have the taste of chicken wings, with none of the fat and oil from frying. Wings are one of the foods I’ve really missed since I’ve been eating GF, but a buffalo chicken crepe will satisfy that craving for me. The healthiness is just a fun bonus.
The addition of kale takes this meal from “it’s not bad for you” to “it has healthy stuff in it”. And, although I do love kale, I promise that this really doesn’t have much of the taste or texture of kale. The chopped kale is stirred into the buffalo chicken once it has been cooked and shredded. It wilts down quickly and just becomes a green speck in the midst of a the juicy, saucey chicken. When you bite into one of these crepes all you will be tasting that buffalo chicken. You could add more than the 3 cups of kale the recipe calls for and still not get much crunch or kale flavor.
If you’re not trying to trick yourself or your kids into eating veggies and WANT the kale crunch and flavor, add some chopped kale on top of the buffalo chicken when you are cooking the crepe. It will wilt some from the heat, but will not be so overwhelmed flavor-wise from the sauce and you’ll still have some crunch.
Buffalo Chicken and Kale CrepesClick here for step by step directions on making crockpot buffalo chicken. Ingredients
- 1 recipe Buckwheat crepes
- 1 lb chicken breasts, trimmed of excess fat
- 1/2 bottle hot sauce (this is an approximate measurement – see directions for details)
- 3 c chopped kale
- 1/2 c shredded cheddar cheese
- Place chicken into the crockpot. Pour the hot sauce over the chicken until it is covered (this will require about half a bottle of hot sauce, but base how much you use on the all of the chicken being coated in sauce, NOT on a measurement).
- Cook for 3 -4 hours on high or 6-8 hours on low.
- Shred chicken with a fork and return to crock pot. Stir in chopped kale and cook for another 10 – 15 minutes, until kale is wilted.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. When the skillet is warm, lay one crepe on the bottom on the skillet. Spread about 3 tablespoons of the chicken/kale mixture onto one quarter of the crepe (imagine the crepe was was a pie cut into four slices. I’ve found that putting the chicken on the bottom – left “pie slice” is easier). Spinkle a tablespoon of the cheese on top of the chicken/kale mixture.
- Fold the empty right side of the crepe on top of the left, then the top over the bottom. You should end up with a wedge shape in the picture above.
- Press the top of the crepe with a spatula and then flip it over. Cook for a few minutes on the second side, until you can see that the cheese has melted. Remove the crepe from the pan and place on a plate.
- Repeat the cooking process with the remaining crepes and chicken mixture.