Taco popcorn brings together two of my all time favorite foods. Yup, tacos and popcorn.
Freshly popped popcorn is just begging to be seasoned. Speaking as a popcorn fanatic, what really makes the popcorn so good is the flavoring on it, even if it’s just salt. Popcorn on its own is boring, but with the right flavor combination it becomes my favorite crunchy snack!
Taco seasoning is one of my personal favorite ways to dress up plain old popcorn. Although I never use the packets of taco seasoning when I make tacos I always keep a packet or two on hand so I can make this popcorn at a moment’s notice. What can I say? Sometimes you just need the perfect snack!
I’ve been making taco popcorn for years and years now, over the lifetime of several different popcorn poppers. Whether you use an air popper, a hot oil popper, or use the stove top method, this taco popcorn will come out great. I wouldn’t suggest using microwave popcorn as the base of this recipe – the end flavor is too rich, for my tastes at least. Since my current popcorn apparatus is a large saucepan I’ve written out the directions for that. If you have a hot air popper or hot oil popper, just pop the 1/2 c of kernals according to your popper’s directions and then hop into the recipe once the popcorn has been popped. If you’re weary of 2 T of butter there are a few options. Margarine works, and so does olive oil. A misto olive oil sprayer is a great way to moisten popcorn so seasoning sticks without adding a whole bunch of unnecessary fat to the mix.
Whatever your variation, I hope you enjoy this snack as much as I do!
Taco PopcornSee post for alternate ways to prepare the popcorn. Ingredients
- 1/2 c popcorn kernals
- 1 Tbs vegetable oil (for popping on stove top)
- 2 Tbs butter, melted
- 1/2 packet taco seasoning
- salt, optional
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large saucepan over medium high heat.
- When the oil is hot, add the popcorn kernals and cover.
- When the popcorn begins to pop, shake the pan back and fourth. When the popping stops for a few seconds remove the pan from the heat and carefully empty the popcorn into a bowl.
- Stir the melted butter into the popcorn. Sprinkle the taco seasoning over the popcorn and stir again. Season with salt before eating, if desired.