I LOVE Spanikopita! The dill and feta cheese have give it such a strong, unique flavors. It’s chock-full of spinach to make you strong and healthy. What’s not to love? Well, if you’re a celiac, the phyllo dough.
One of the foods I was saddest about giving up after finding out I had celiac was Spanikopita. I tried making my own phyllo dough but it took so much time and was nothing like the original. It just wasn’t worth the effort.
Over the years I have come up with a few GF Spanikopita “hacks”. This one is called Spanikorizo, which means “Spinach & Rice”. It’s not my own idea by any means. Spanikoriza is another Greek dish that is very similar to Spanikopita. Instead of using phyllo dough Spanikorizo uses rice and is cooked right on the stove top. I crafted my own version to accomplish two things: first, have all of the strong, Greek, flavors I love and second, use up the ingredients I buy specifically for this meal. You won’t end up with half a bunch of dill and a cup of leftover spinach.
Spinach and rice doesn’t sound like the most desirable, tasty meal, but trust me, this stuff is good. I probably spent a full year eating this for lunch nearly everyday. It cooks up with little effort and tastes just as good leftover. It’s a great GF choice for healthy eating, and (like all of my other favorite recipes) is full of flavor!
- 1 onion, minced
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 10 oz frozen spinach
- 1 bunch dill, chopped
- 1 bunch green onions, sliced (use both green and white ends)
- 1 c rice (white or brown)
- 2 c water (may need up to 4 c for brown rice)
- 4 oz crumbled feta cheese
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. When oil is warm add the minced onion and saute until the onions are soft.
- Add the spinach, green onions, and dill to the skillet and mix, breaking up the spinach as it defrosts.
- When the spinach has mostly defrosted add the rice and water to the skillet. Cook until the rice is done (time will vary, about 20 min for white rice and about 40 min for brown rice. If needed, add more water).
- Stir in the crumbled feta cheese and serve hot.