This is an efficient side dish, great for a busy night. Its a grain and a vegetable all in one! The quinoa and green beans cook in the same pot. When the quinoa has absorbed all of the liquid and the green beans are tender you just stir in this 4 ingredient sauce. Little effort, little time, lots of flavor. Healthy, too!
I usually serve this with some sort of chicken. Its a great side for anything grilled. I can be outside tending to the grill and just let the quinoa and beans simmer away without needing to stir the pot, add any ingredients, etc, etc. Have you ever gotten into that mess of needing to tend to something cooking on the grill and on the stove at the same time? I do often. I end up going back and forth between the kitchen and the deck every two minutes. Sometimes I burn something or forget an ingredient, other times I just temporarily can’t keep track of what’s going on.
Anyway, it’s not even quite grilling season but I’m still rambling on about it. I do really enjoy grilling though!
Back to the quinoa and green beans. Tasty, quick & easy side dish that’s naturally gluten free! Just make sure you check the label on your dijon mustard and creole seasoning to make sure both are gluten free. For a quick (and totally indoors) meal, try doubling the sauce and stirring in some shredded chicken. Yum!
Dijon Quinoa & Green BeansIngredients
- 3/4 c quinoa
- 1 1/2 c water
- 8 oz green beans, trimmed and cut into 1 inch pieces.
- 2 Tbs Dijon mustard (read label to make sure it is GF)
- 1/2 tbs lime juice
- 1 tbs lemon juice
- 1 tsp creole seasoning (read label to make sure it is GF)
- Add the quinoa and water to a medium saucepan and bring to a boil over high heat. When the water is boiling reduce the heat to low, gently place the green beans into the pan (just kind of set them there – don’t stir) and cover. Cook for about 15 minutes, or until all of the water is absorbed.
- While the quinoa and green beans are cooking mix the remaining ingredients in a small bowl.
- Once the quinoa and beans have finished cooking pour the sauce into the pan and stir until well combined.