This recipe is the fourth in my month-long series of healthy, weeknight recipes from all around the web. This is stuff I make time and again, usually with some modifications, and still love! Check back (or follow this blog) to see all of the recipes I’ll be featuring this month!
There are so many reasons why this recipe is one of my healthy weeknight favorites. I gotta say, the absolute best part of this recipe is that you won’t dirty any pots of pans making it! Fish + veggies cooked in individual foil packets that are baked right on the rack in the oven. I only use four items total to make this: a knife, cutting board, small prep bowl, and a spoon. Just rinse and throw in the dishwasher. Talk about easy clean up!
Let’s talk about the food, too, instead of just the prep and clean up. These foil packets are loaded with moist, flakey fish and tons of green veggies. A bit of chili-infused oil and lime juice is spooned over the fish to flavor it. The packets are really easy to put together too. You just stack the asparagus and spinach, top with fish and a few ingredients for flavoring, and then fold up. Serve with a whole grain (see links to a few ideas below) for a a complete, 100% healthy meal that’s ready in under 30 minutes!
Spicy Lime Foil Packet Tilapia
Many of the ingredients here can be approximated. This is not one of those recipes where everything needs to be measured out perfectly for it to work. If you have a bit less asparagus, prefer more red pepper flakes, etc, the recipe will turn out fine!
Original Recipe Source: Women’s Health
- 1 1/2 T olive oil
- 3/4 t red pepper flakes
- 2 c spinach (approximately), divided (1/2 c per packet)
- 20 asparagus spears (approximately)
- 4 tilapia fillets
- 5 green onions, sliced
- 8 t lime juice, divided (2 tsp per packet)
- Preheat the oven to 450° F.
- Tear off 4 large sections of aluminum foil (I use foil sections that are about twice as long as they are wide. Better to tear off a bit extra foil than to end up with too little).
- Cut the asparagus into 2 inch pieces and lay an equal amount in a rectangle in each of the 4 packets.
- Top with the spinach, and then a tilapia fillet.
- In a small bowl, combine the olive oil and red pepper flakes. Microwave for 30 seconds (this infuses the oil). Spoon 1/4 of the oil over each tilapia filet.
- Drizzle 2 t of lime juice over each packet.
- Sprinkle with green onions.
- Roll up the edges of each packet and press securely.
- Bake for about 15 minutes, or until the tilapia is white and flaky.
Serve this with: