This recipe is the fifth in my month-long series of healthy, weeknight recipes from all around the web. This is stuff I make time and again, usually with some modifications, and still love! Check back (or follow this blog) to see all of the recipes I’ll be featuring this month!
This recipe has been in my favorites list for quite a while now. I found it on The Lemon Bowl, and only had to make a few tiny changes to make it gluten free. What initially won me over was the flavor. It’s reminiscent of a stir fry and has the option to be spicy or mild. When I realized how quick this dinner was to prepare – 20 minutes from start to table – it became one of my busy night staples.
Of course, everything I make over and over needs to be nutritious, and this dinner definitely is that, too! I always use lean, organic ground turkey. The sauce is so, so tasty and it doesn’t use any sugar or oil. The turkey is cooked with a whole pound of green beans and a can of water chestnuts, so you are getting a good serving of vegetables, too. Just serve with some brown rice or quinoa and your meal is complete!
Szechuan Turkey and Green Beans
Recipe Source: The Lemon Bowl
- 1 lb. lean ground turkey (I get the 95%-98% lean when it is on sale and store it in the freezer until I’m ready to use it)
- 2 T ginger, minced
- 1/2 c chicken broth
- 1 T corn starch
- 1/4 c Bragg’s Amino Acids (may substitute with gluten free soy sauce)
- 2 T rice vinegar
- 1 T chili garlic paste (This is what I use – please start with less if you are not a fan of spicy foods, and increase if needed).
- 1 lb. green beans (I’ve successfully used fresh and frozen)
- 8 oz. can water chestnuts, drained
- Heat a large, nonstick skillet over medium high heat.
- Add the turkey and minced ginger. As the turkey cooks, using a fork/spatula/spoon/ to bread up the turkey into small bits. Once it is cooked through let the turkey brown for a minute in the pan.
- While the turkey is cooking, combine the chicken broth, corn starch, Amino Acids, rice vinegar, and chili garlic paste in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Add the green bean and sauce mixture to the cooked and browned ground turkey. Stir to combine and reduce the heat to medium.
- While the turkey/green beans/sauce is cooking roughly chop the water chestnuts.
- When the green beans are tender add the water chestnuts to the pan and stir once more to combine.
- Serve with brown rice or quinoa.